Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Extruding and Forming Machine Operators (Synthetic/Glass Fibers)
Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders (Synthetic and Glass Fibers)
What They Do
Set up, operate, or tend machines that extrude and form continuous filaments from synthetic materials, such as liquid polymer, rayon, and fiberglass.
- 2014 employment: 20,100
- May 2015 median annual wage: $32,980
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -2,800
- Growth rate: -14 percent (Decline)
How to Become One
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.